[MUD-Dev] size

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Oct 4 14:33:56 CEST 2003

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 11:07 PM, Bo Zimmerman wrote:
> From: Amanda Walker
>> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com writes:
>>> From: Amanda Walker [mailto:amanda at alfar.com]

>> If you're not paying license fees for your back story or setting,
>> don't need to use absolutely every feature of the latest Video
>> Force Turbo 9000 video card, etc., why roll your own engine?

> Because you can do it better, faster, smarter.  Because the legacy
> engine is flat and difficult to extend.  Because you have new
> ideas that don't fit the legacy engine.

Sigh.  If we go back to the *context* of this discussion, the claim
was being made that graphical MUDs take a lot of money and time to
develop, which is why they require a big bankroll.  Sure, if we
assume they don't, that does solve the problem, but that wasn't
really the question at hand :-).

Amanda Walker