[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Freeman Freeman
Mon Oct 6 10:19:30 CEST 2003

From: Edward Glowacki [mailto:glowack2 at msu.edu]
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:12, gbtmud wrote:

>> I am attempting to write a new MUD codebase, and I was wondering
>> what people have done as far as magic systems. Specifically, I
>> was thinking of letting the players define spells in a custom
>> scripting language so that new spells could be created on the
>> fly. My question is, has anyone already done this? If so, what
>> pitfalls are there to avoid, and what functionality should I
>> add/subtract? Any input would be helpful on this.

> I've considered this a bit as well, and I really like the idea.
> But I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull off.  One of the
> things that would probably be the most difficult with this system
> is balance.

That was my first thought too.

But since it's a custom scripting language, you could build some
balance in automatically, with built-in delays and mana-costs for
every function call (or heck, for everything: 2 pts of mana for
declaring an int, 1 point for using an equals sign... and so on).

If "effencient code" resulted in lower-mana spells, for example, I
think that would be pretty appealing.  Well, to programmers, anyway.

I wouldn't even *try* to balance this vs. other systems, though.
Just call it "Mages MUD" and make everyone a mage.