[MUD-Dev] size

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Oct 8 12:06:33 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 10:20 AM, Ling Lo wrote:

> A useful method of thinking about production, paraphrased very
> badly: amount of work with assets required to please the average
> customer (a key point about this discussion) increases by bleh
> percent each year, the amount of work an artist can do is fairly
> constant, tools increase productivity by blah percent each year.
> I would bet bleh is higher than blah hence money, and lots of it,
> is required.

Is that true, though?  I think that assets may be a red herring.
Examples: Tetris and Counter-Strike didn't succeed because of their
content assets.  They succeeded because they both hit sweet spots of
game mechanics.  People would play Counterstrike, I suspect, even if
were flat-shaded polygons with cheesy little noises for explosions.

Hmm.  Remember Mazewar? :-)

However, world-building is definitely asset-intensive--no argument
there.

--Amanda