[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Wed Oct 8 19:29:08 CEST 2003

From: "Crosbie Fitch"

> When I was mucking about with this almost a quarter of a century
> ago, I was also thinking of this as a way of creating a 'magic
> language' for an Adventure (single player) system I'd
> written. However, I wasn't thinking of a scripting language so
> much. More of a system where the syllables themselves had
> different powers, and the combinations thereof would dictate the
> effect. I considered creating distinct syllable vocabulary
> flavours for different kinds of magic, e.g. black (Orcish
> syllables)/white (Elven syllables).

If you ever have time, take a look at old alphabets, like the runes
the Vikings used - Many of those was given magical proberties by
people back then and was widely used to create wards, or
intonations. Not to mention that wards often became a part of the
decoration of a house.

Same goes for the Russian Icon "alphabet", their "letters" also have
symbolic meaning ... and the Chinese letters, and the Japanese, and
the Egyptian Hieroglyphs. And I'm sure there are many more.

I'd almost say, that the only alphabet that does not put several
meanings behind every single letter, is the latin one ... which is
the one used across the western world nowadays.

Such a shame really.  But there must be inspiration to be found in
those ancient alphabets.