[MUD-Dev] size

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Oct 11 14:21:17 CEST 2003

On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 03:13 PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> The level of writing that is required in order to appeal to most
> text mudders is easy. The level of art required to appeal to most
> graphical mudders is not so easy.

> I can do a new monster in text in 30 minutes, max, including all
> descriptions, custom attacks, responses, etc.

> That's like what, at least 40 hours of work in top-end 3d graphics
> between producing the model and the new attack/spell effects?
> Whether that's "harder" is up to interpretation but it's certainly
> WAY more work.

Hmm.  True, although I still think the "graphical quality" issue is
a bit of a red herring.  The two most popular MMO games (UO & EQ)
have the least advanced graphics, and games with staggering amounts
of graphical chrome (AC2) languish unplayed.

I will also admit that I am probably biased in my assessment of how
much effort graphical assets take.  One of the things I do
professionally is CAD modeling; for buildings, terrain, and
mechanical objects I'm inclined to view graphical production as less
effort-intensive than writing descriptions for objects and actions.
However, for creatures and characters, I agree.

Amanda Walker