[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Sun Oct 12 08:17:15 CEST 2003

From: "Crosbie Fitch"
> From: Sheela Caur'Lir

>> I'd almost say, that the only alphabet that does not put several
>> meanings behind every single letter, is the latin one ... which
>> is the one used across the western world nowadays.

> Maybe there is a current field of study, 'archaeophilology' or
> "archaeological linguistics', that is already attempting to
> reconstruct a rune or ideographic basis underlying old english
> simply by cataloging all the syllabic meanings and
> inventing/matching a symbol for each?

Hmmm ... dunno if such a field exists as such.

I do know that there is a book on the runes mostly used in
Scandinavian area in the era of Vikings. It also contained some
myths on what magic was associated with which runes - Thors rune was
associated with Strength if I remember correct. Been a while though.

As for the old English I'm uncertain - I guess the old Celtic ways
would have left something here .. like the Zodiac signs, the magic
of the moon phases, Stone henge and tree's. It was based on the
belief that balance was the key to everything. Which also meant that
not only men was ranking members of their religion, which was the
druidic society. They had an interesting faith in spirits in tree's
(true treehuggers I guess) and identified female treespirits as
Dryads. I'm sure there is some description of their alphabets
somewhere in all that. Gotta be something there.

*looks around*

  http://www.celtic-runes.com/

Hmm .. reminds me that the Zodiac table is closely related to modern
astrology and calendars and times zones.

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)