[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 4, Issue 30

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Sun Oct 12 20:33:55 CEST 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Lee Sheldon wrote:

> I admit my math skills aren't great but summer blockbusters gross
> on an average$200,000,000 domestically in about three months
> time. Pirates of the Caribbean has made $297,000,000 in 13
> weeks. That's what?  37,000,000+ people have seen the film at an
> average of $8 a ticket? My calculations suggest SWG (the MMO
> summer hit - 300,000 people have bought it to date) has grossed
> approximately $28,500,000 ($15,000,000 for $50 boxes, the rest for
> initial 3 month subscriptions at $15). The studios spend on an
> average a bit less than half of their figure to make a big
> movie. I'd suspect the SWG budget was more like two thirds of
> gross, so profits would be proportionately less. I'm not sure how
> you're using the word "equivalent."

Equivalent over time, I'd agree (though I specifically was not
comparing them -yet- to the biggest of summer blockbusters). I was
speaking in terms of total generated revenue, per product. I also
should have qualified and just said box office, since DVD/VHS swells
movie industry figures way above games industry figures both as an
industry and in terms of the largest individual products.

--matt