[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Wed Oct 15 15:43:28 CEST 2003

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

> The MUD engine I'm working on is client-agnostic internally
> (though it does require images, sounds, fonts, and colored text to
> be possible).  I've so far been using it with a web interface
> running on Tomcat, but I'm facing enough hassles with that
> environment that I'm reconsidering it now.

> My current options are:

>   1) Pure web browser.  The current model I'm using.

>   2) Java applet shown with the Java plug-in.

We've been fighting this at Skotos for several years. The main two
things I can suggest is: A) avoid client java at all costs -- we
tried forever and it the platform differences never made it worth
the effort, and B) we've built an incredibly powerful client just
using Mozilla's javascript, that is as good as our best ActiveX
client for windows.

If you'd like to see how well it works (we have a 30 day free trial
at Skotos), try Castle Marrach and Grendel's Revenge with IE -- that
will be our "Alice" client using an ActiveX control. Then Castle
Marrach with Mozilla (GR hasn't been converted yet).

If you are serious about client side text sitting on a web page
where the client can change the web page behind it, we'd be willing
to share both Alice and Zealous (the Mozilla client.) From the
server perspective, they use the same protocol.

-- Christopher Allen