[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Fri Oct 24 19:01:10 CEST 2003

Christopher Kohnert wrote:

> But, on the whole, you can get quite a lot of functionality out of
> a 1.1 Java applet and be pretty sure it'll work almost
> everywhere. There are tons of tiny discrepancies, but they are
> easily worked around.

Our experience has been entirely the opposite. We even have a Sun
engineer who is a player who has been helping us, and he'd been
having a hard time.

The biggest problem is the Macintosh, which is the most important
platform other then Windows. We constantly have to fight scrolling
problems, text entry problems, and other UI issues, as well as
performance issues and DCOM communication to the web page the Java
is embedded in -- for every new release, as well as supporting old
releases.

Our linux java clients work acceptably, but not as nice and clean as
our windows native ActiveX client. Our mozilla/javascript based
client is on par with our native ActiveX client, with much less
development time.

-- Christopher Allen