[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 08:42:48 CET 2003

--- Sheela Caur'Lir <dstgasey at webhiker.dk> wrote:

> Mind you, it's uncertain if all the runes were ..  humm .. "Runes
> of Power" would be the correct definition I think.  After all, so
> much history was lost during christianity taking foothold.
> Luckily for us, that means that we can interpret this as we wish
> to.

Actually quite allot is known about runes and thier usage. In modern
times runes have become something of a popular thing, this new
interest in the general population has spawned and increase in the
study of runes among arciologists and historians as well.

All runes where 'Runes of Power' as you say. The context of thier
usage didn't matter so much as the fact that they where used. For
the truly magical uses variouos rituals were also used to bind and
manage the power of the runes.

On a side note the grouping of runes used at this time was called
the Elder Futhark and was composed of 24 runes. You can google on
this and get plenty of information, though most of it will be
neo-pagan crap.  A good source for information is the ancientscripts
site.

  http://www.ancientscripts.com/futhark.html