[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Server Bottlenecks

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed Sep 3 00:43:00 CEST 2003

(Posting a shortened form since Mozilla crashed after the first version
that I wrote.)

J C Lawrence wrote:

> Use a kernel profiler like OProfile.  You may also like to
> investigate using the new NLTM supports in recent Linux kernels
> and libC versions (adds an N:M threading model rather than N:N).

I'm not sure what you were thinking of as 'NLTM' on Linux.

The two major threading efforts in recent times have been NGPT from
IBM and NPTL from the GNU libc folks and RedHat.

NGPT was indeed based on an N:M model, but was killed earlier this
year. More info can be found here:

  http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/pthreads/

NPTL is based on an N:N model and is doing quite well.  More info
can be found here:

   http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf

  - Bruce