[MUD-Dev] [DGN] Writing... a mud...

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Sep 3 23:46:39 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 01:13 PM, erich-herz at uiowa.edu
wrote:

>   My first method, as a young socket programmer, was to fork each
>   client.  Then I read more and learned about select() and using a
>   state machine for multiple-step procedures.  It's slightly ugly,
>   but that's the way it goes.  THEN I learned about thread pools.
>   My current plan resides somewhere in between - it involves 2-3
>   threads - no real "pooling", in the formal way.  Anyway,
>   thoughts on this?

An excellent introduction to the issues involved in handling a lot
of client connections can be found in "The C10K Problem" by Dan
Kegel <http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html>.  It's a nice overview of the
various strategies, and has a lot of links to more in-depth
resources.  It's aimed at web and application servers, but the
general principles are quite applicable to game servers.

Amanda Walker