[MUD-Dev] When Will Player-Avatar Integrity Be a Feature ofPersistent Worlds?

Baar - Lord of the Seven Suns baar at imperian.com
Thu Sep 4 01:54:38 CEST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Michael Tresca wrote:

> On the other extreme, lack of a real penalty -- a direct way to be
> harmed by one's actions -- is an entropic effect on societies.  If
> there's no repercussions, if at base I will not be imprisoned and
> thus physically retained from doing whatever the hell I feel like,
> there is eventually anarchy.  If a game's society can't influence
> you when you log off, it's ability to influence you ends when you
> flip the switch.  Period.

That is partially true. However, for MUDs that have the ability to
collect money from players, via pay-to-play or the Iron Realms model
of pay-to-augment, you are risking having your character deleted or
locked down. This often comes up with people that invest a great
deal of money to have a character that can ride roughshod over other
players only to find themselves so utterly going beyond rational
limits that they essentially have no access to the character any
longer.

David