[MUD-Dev] Why doesn't Lineage count as the most popular MMOG ever?

Martin Bassie martin at lyrastudios.com
Fri Sep 5 00:41:58 CEST 2003

Daniel Anderson wrote:

> When a developer is asked what is the most popular MMOG, they will
> typically say EQ.  When they are asked about Lineage, an often
> heard response is, "Well, that doesn't count."  My question is,
> why doesn't Lineage count?  It does in fact have the highest
> subscription rate, right?

> Also, people seem to be making a big deal out of which MMOG will
> be the first one to get over a million subscriptions in America.
> I guess I would understand if no other online game has ever done
> that before, but Lineage was the first in the world...

Americentricity, I guess.

If you asked the same question in Korea, you could get Lineage, or
even some more obscure name (I'm ill-versed on those).

There are a lot of relative inaccuracies brought to the world
through the wonderful mediums of press releases and (p)reviews.

A few statements that stuck in my head, true or otherwise:

  - EQ is the first 3D MMORPG

  - Ultima Online is the first American MMORPG

  - Star Wars Galaxies was the first to implement player-to-player
  teaching

  - Asheron's Call was the first MMORPG in a seamless world

  - Dark Age of Camelot is the first MMORPG to implement decent PVP

I'm quite certain there are more where those came from, but it's
late and I'm tired ;)

-M