[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Michael Chui blizzard36_2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 13:55:20 CEST 2003

--- Baar - Lord of the Seven Suns <baar at imperian.com> wrote:

> Well, I have been a player character on a game for a while with
> the following as part of the Terms of Service:

>  4. License. Subject to all of the Terms, the Company hereby
>  grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to
>  access the Services and to use the Services solely for your
>  personal entertainment purposes. You may not use the Services to
>  generate revenue for yourself or any third party, in any way,
>  without prior written permission from the Company.

> So it seems to me that selling your in-game items in this game and
> obtaining for it dollar would be considered a violation. Am I
> misinterpreting or not interpreting in a narrow/broad enough way?

Has anyone considered actually GIVING that permission? I think it'd
be a nice marketting/revenue-generation trick to permit authors to
publish fiction set in your world, following your rules. Set several
conditions on the material (such as no flagrant deviation from the
world physics, requiring the publisher to advertise your world nice
and big inside the book, etc.) and perhaps ask for a small
percentage for using the Services to generate revenue.

-Michael Chui