[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Dave Rickey dave at mutablerealms.com
Tue Sep 9 09:08:20 CEST 2003

From: "Daniel Anderson" <melinko at insight.rr.com>
> From Scott Jennings:

>> If you make MMO companies as liable as doctors to malpractice
>> suits, many fewer commercial MMOs (none, in other words) will be
>> made. I suspect this is not something you want to encourage.

> I don't think that will ever happen when one considers the legal
> system will probably never take MMOs too seriously.

> Can you see a judge taking a MMO seriously?

> Maybe it has already happened and I'm being ignorant.

I was informed at DragonCon that the IRS has beaten us to the punch
here, in an estate case.  A largish estate listed the value of an EQ
account at $50, the IRS kicked that back with citations of the Wired
article about the UO real-estate trade, and demanded a full
accounting of the contents of the account, which they then assigned
value based on eBay prices.  Where tax law goes, the rest of civil
law will not be far behind.

Burying our heads in the sand and pretending that if we don't look,
it won't hurt, will not prevent the inevitable reality check.

--Dave