[MUD-Dev] SW:G

Freeman Freeman
Tue Sep 9 12:30:37 CEST 2003

From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at ironrealms.com]

> So here's a question then: Why are you playing SW:G at all? You
> can get a chat room elsewhere, in a myriad of forms, for free.

I'd assume the answer is the same for all people that "just want to
chat" but choose to do so in muds: The game provides a context for
the socialization.

> I don't know what the range of things you're interested in is but
> all you mentioned was liking the music stuff. At the same time,
> you said you found the music stuff so boring that you triggered it
> and just chatted. Why not just go to a free medium like a text mud
> or even an IRC channel if you want to chat? There MUST be
> something about SW:G that is making you continue to fork over
> $15/month. Are you just a huge fan of the Star Wars license or are
> there other game systems you didn't mention that you are into?

The question was directed at someone else, but I'll toss out my own
answer anyway, just 'cause (generic answer, though, because there's
a more compelling reason for me personally to play SWG that
invalidates the usual list):

Which game I play is primarily determined by which game my best
friend is playing (and vice versa).  We decide which game we're
going to play based largely on where most of our other friends are.

A game really doesn't have to appeal to me specifically therefore,
in order to get me to play it (or if not "play it", at least use it
as a chatroom).

It does have to appeal to some number of my friends, and cannot do
anything that would drive away my best friend (or me).

In order of importance, I play because:

  - I don't hate the game
  - My best friend plays it
  - Many of my other friends play it
  - I like it

Now, if there were some aspect of the game (or even the whole thing)
that I didn't particularly enjoy, I certainly might automate that,
justify myself by saying, "Well it is boring" - just use the game as
a chat-room and escape actual gameplay whenever possible - and if it
meets all the criteria more important than "I like it", then I keep
paying and playing anyway.

Point being that I don't necessarily have to "like" a game to play
it.

This is probably not all that uncommon.