[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Tue Sep 9 21:42:56 CEST 2003

On Sep 09, Daniel Anderson wrote:

>> I don't see that that eliminates the risk. If players own a
>> virtual sword then virtually every game design decision invites
>> lawsuits from players claiming that you've damaged the value of
>> their property. Changed the power of the sword? You screwed me!
>> Changed how hard monsters generally are? You screwed me! (Cause
>> my sword now has less effect on said monsters.) Etc.

> I think the only way to find out the answer to this would be to
> contact Richard Stallman (GNU founder and advocate of free
> software)!

Unless Richard got a law degree since last I checked, or was
recently named to a court somewhere, I'm not sure that he would have
a lot of clarity to offer on this point.  GNU doesn't offer a
service, and the GPL doesn't have any ambiguity of ownership.  In
fact, the GPL relies very heavily on strong copyright enforcement in
order to maintain its terms.  (Which is one reason that GNU --
though not necessarily other GPL-using projects -- requires
copyright assignment for most contributions to their programs.)

Mike