[MUD-Dev] Player malleable worlds (was Expected value and standard deviation)

Kerry Fraser-Robinson kfr at redbedlam.com
Wed Sep 10 18:31:23 CEST 2003

From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

> Enough hand waving, someone show me some compelling auto generated
> content, or compelling player generated content in a commercially
> viable game.

Well plenty of games have auto generated content - Anarchy Online's
or SW:G's missions are the first that come to mind but there are
plenty of examples.  As for compelling player-generated content -
that's really not quite the holy grail people make it out to be
either.  Counter-Strike was player-generated content - as, by
definition, are all the other 'mods' out there.  I believe that the
biggest hurdle in front of players generating good content is a lack
of quality tools - and this applies to MUG's and MMORPG's as much as
it applies to online shooters etc.

-KFR