[MUD-Dev] Player malleable worlds (was Expected value and standard deviation)

Torgny Bjers artovil at arcanerealms.org
Wed Sep 10 22:35:01 CEST 2003

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> From: Crosbie Fitch [mailto:crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org]

>> Sometimes it may be enough to dig a hole in the ground fill it
>> with sand, and let the kids create the cities with their buckets
>> and spades. A dog poo and sweet wrapper elimination service will
>> cost extra - naturally. You don't always have to spend years
>> creating content, if the players are easily able to do that
>> themselves.

> Oh come off it, the average player is utterly incapable of
> creating content anyone but their mum would be interested in. Even
> professionals frequently get it wrong.

> Enough hand waving, someone show me some compelling auto generated
> content, or compelling player generated content in a commercially
> viable game.

How about some of the larger player generated cities and guild
locations in games such as Ultima Online?  Have you ever seen those?
Of course, they might not be all that mind-blowing to just LOOK at.
Albeit, if you go there with the purpose of actually playing a role
playing game and not some scriptable level calculator where your
only aim is to get to level one and an umtizillion so you can wield
the mega powerful demon-souled über-sword, then you might actually
be surprised by what you might find if you turn enough stones over.

Regards,
/Torgny