[MUD-Dev] Meta-games (not META list ;))

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Mon Sep 15 08:57:43 CEST 2003

From: ceo

> The funny thing is, when I did a google search for MUD-DEV
> conversations about meta-games, I couldn't find any. Is it just
> that we've discussed this before under a different nomenclature,
> or is it something that's only ever been mentioned in passing,
> never quite becoming a hot topic? :)

Something a bit similar that I've often looked forward to seeing are
'objectiveless' games, i.e. virtual environments, whether text, 2D
or 3D, that have rules governing how things work, but have no
storyline and no objectives, implicit (money/lives/territory/etc) or
otherwise (score/tokens/missions/etc).

You seem to describe games where players have decided, at some
effort, to create alternate objectives.

Do you mean that meta-games are games that have been designed to
encourage this alternative play?