[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Freeman Freeman
Mon Sep 15 16:26:01 CEST 2003

From: Amanda Walker [mailto:amanda at alfar.com]

> What has been really interesting to me is that the bulk of
> that would be cool" (sometimes with interesting speculation about
> how it could be integrated into game mechanics) and "but that
> would spoil everything!"

> I wonder if this represents a difference in how people perceive
> the purpose of an MMO environment.

I think different MMO's use their environments to different
purposes.

Where "ability to see new places" is a key reward for "leveling-up",
the ability to ghost is more strictly controlled.  Where that's not
so much a perk, the rules on ghosting are more relaxed.

e.g. Being a ghost in UO allows you to go anywhere, pretty much,
though you can't interact with anything.  In EQ there are various
character abilities that will allow you to scout around invisible,
or invisible to undead, or invisible to animals, and so on (but even
then not entirely without risk).

The ability to visit new and different zones in EQ is much more of a
reward for leveling-up than it is in UO.  I don't think it is a
coincidence that the rules on 'ghosting' there are more strict (and
highly integrated into the game mechanics, as far as that goes),
than they are in UO (where you can explore a LOT while being a
ghost).