[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Sep 15 20:59:02 CEST 2003

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 04:49  AM, Tess Lowe wrote:

> The fun is having the toys and using them with skill, beauty and
> flair. The fun is not in mouse-clicking for 6 months to get
> them. I have a j-o-b for that.

Indeed.  And going back to my SWG music example: I don't enjoy it
because my character is a musician, I enjoy it because *I* am a
musician, and it's a lot of fun to express that aspect (in however
limited a form) in-game.  I played music in AC2 as well (where it
had no correlation with skill, had no beneficial effects, or
anything else--just a pure social activity).  The head of my guild
in SWG is a professional violist; we have other members of varying
"real life" skill, but we do all genuinely enjoy putting on real
entertainment for other people in-game.  If the game tools allowed
us to upload new musical content, we'd be there in a heartbeat.

And it shows.  We have regular fans, earn plenty of ingame money by
having our brand of fun, and happily pay our monthly subscription
fee.  Are we role playing?  Sure.  But we're also genuinely
entertaining other people by applying actual skill.  This enriches
everyone's enjoyment of the game.

Amanda Walker