[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Mon Sep 22 23:50:41 CEST 2003

On Fri 19 Sep, Rayzam wrote:

> Okie dokes. Though, if its a place you can get to regularly, why
> do it as a sightseer? Also, I bet some of the more interesting
> content is behind such areas, at least in terms of value-scarcity.

Taking Star Wars Galaxies as an example since that game strongly
caters to the non-combat oriented players.  If you opt to play an
entertainer (or a clothing designer or an architect) you are pretty
much stuck in town, since the rest of the game worlds are designed
to cater to the combat oriented ro- les.  Dancing, or playing a nice
song, i s not going to convince that three story tall monster not to
step on you.  So, a ghost mode might actually be of quite some use
to the players who just want to *see* what is at the other side of
the hill, without be- ing forced to invest heavily in a role they do
not enjoy playing

> No, that's true. Though right now, the 2 main purposes the current
> virutal worlds provide is combat and social interaction. Maybe I'm
> cynical in not believing that viewing content alone is currently
> an available product. Maybe in Uru.

I think that, if given the opportunity, many players would not mind
being able to just look at the scenery.  I know I did when playing
morrowind just to watch at a sunset, or at the weather changing, and
not to forget the most amazing nightsky. And I ha- ve seen other
games with truly amazing scenery that you would be happy just to
look at.  If the game world is really big and con- tains such
amazing vistas, then I do not see why players would not want to walk
around and just look at the landscape.  They do after all do much
the same when visiting the grand canyon?

> True, fencing it off with combat is a cost, as you point out. I
> suppose I'm narrowmindedly considering the combat as the
> content. Wide open spaces in most MMOs are boring to traverse. The
> ones I've played just aren't as visually enjoyable as say Syberia.

Which points out a deficiency of current implementations, not of
potential.  I suppose that truly lush landscapes and truly grand
sights are too difficult to handle on the current computers?

>> I know from repeated experience that I enjoy combat areas and
>> quests a lot more when I know where I'm going.  Maybe this is one
>> of those "asking for directions" things :-)...

> Heh. I never thought of it that way, but you nailed me on that
> one. I don't ask for directions :) Don't hand me a map either!

Of course not. You are a guy ;)

Marian (who is not ashamed to ask for directions either ;)
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey