[MUD-Dev] DGN: Why give the players all the numbers?

David Cooksey dcooksey at pifi.org
Thu Sep 25 16:01:31 CEST 2003

From: Lee Sheldon:

> I've been reading this thread with interest, and should go on
> record as saying I think displaying the numbers is one of the
> worst anti-immersive traditions we've blindly copied from
> D&D. I've been saying for years (7 now?) in my tutorials that if
> you want immersion in your game, bury the numbers. (By the same
> token, if you don't care about immersion, then by all means trot
> them out and shine a spotlight on them!)

As a player, I absolutely hate when useful numbers are denied me.
Then again, I'm a person who enjoyed tremendously the discussions on
the Shaman's Crucible about what kind of effect strength-boosting
spells had on damage in Everquest.  Correspondingly, the most
frustrating part of my time spent playing Everquest was when the
Development team reduced the Monk class' ability to take damage, yet
did not adjust the armor class.  The displayed armor class became
meaningless as a method of comparison.  I enjoy advancement, and
sheer numbers track that much better than words.

Let's say we have the following ranges for damage:

  1-5: Your opponent flinches.
  6-10: Your opponent groans.
  11-15: Your opponent screams aloud in agony.

If I'm doing 1 damage, and I get an upgrade allowing me to hit for 3
damage, I see no immediate result (other than the speed the monster
dies, which is subject to lag and other factors).  I can't tell if
the upgrade did anything for me.

Now, if there was a game where combat was a very minimal factor,
then it doesn't matter much to me.  However, if it's a combat
centered game, numbers please!

-David Cooksey