[MUD-Dev] RE: A world without charity

gbtmud gbtmud at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 09:25:09 CEST 2003

Erik Bethke wrote:
> Edward Castronova wrote:

>> I've had exactly the same questions and come up with exactly the
>> same answers: ban financial and material charity and you
>> eliminate 99 percent of eBaying, as well as a host of other
>> problems. And I am just as eager to hear what the devs have to
>> say. I haven't been behind the scenes, so I can't see much of a
>> downside. What are we missing?

> Your goal whether you are commercial or non-commercial is to
> provide a service for players to enjoy.  If anything we should
> create tools to facilitate the real cash trades and ensure that
> the rip-off rate is minimized.

Interesting idea. I don't think I have ever heard of any sort of
online that had anything like this. What kind of systems would reach
this goal?  Would you have built-in RW auction functionality in the
game, or would you put it on an accompanying web site? And how hard
is it to get credit card transactions working?

-Simon Fairfax