[MUD-Dev] Distributed virtual worlds (Was NEWS: Why VirtualWorlds are Designed By Newbies - No, Really (By R. Bartle))

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sat Dec 18 22:07:01 CET 2004

Yannick Jean wrote:

>> It would be great if it would work, but I can't see how to make
>> it work. The problem is that the book of spells is (a) a 3D model
>> and textures, and (b) code. Transferring the book of spells from
>> one world to another requires that the model and the code both be
>> transferred. Transferring the model is doable. Transferring the
>> code is frought with problems (...)

> I may be missing something here... If the codebase is just
> minimally data driven, transferring the book datas from one
> database to another is truly trivial.

It depends upon how your world sees objects. If it sees objects as a
bit of data that's interpreted by C++ code then transferring is
trivial.

However, if it sees objects as data and script code (perhaps
specific to the object), and C++ code to run the script code, then
transferring objects is tricky because the script code moves from
one system to another, and could act like a virus, worm, or anything
else it wants to. Limits could be put on the scripts, but then
objects can't do as much. Script code is used because it allows for
MUCH more flexibility in world design than just seeing objects as
data.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au