[MUD-Dev] Distributed virtual worlds (Was NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies - No, Really (By R. Bartle))

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Dec 29 06:32:29 CET 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Yannick Jean wrote:

> I may be missing something here... If the codebase is just
> minimally data driven, transferring the book datas from one
> database to another is truly trivial.

Certainly.  But if you're talking about moving data between
different game engines then the data will likely be meaningless,
unless the import process involves some sort of translation
procedure.  Say you import a longsword from a D&D rulesystem to one
that uses weapon types as damage modifiers, and one which has no
built-in longsword template.  The weapon might be plausibly
effective in the fiction of the destination world, but making it
work with the engine is another issue entirely.  I'm sure that a
normalized data format could be agreed upon, but making it useful
would still require a large amount of cooperation.

Sean