[MUD-Dev] MUD client popularity

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Mon Feb 2 23:37:01 CET 2004

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:14:35 -0500, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> GUI, or heck even web applications.  It seems the world pretty
> much skipped from "spew" to "GUI", jumping over "console apps"
> altogether and leaving a gaping black hole where they should have
> been.

Depends on what you mean by "GUI".  There was a large category of
text-mode GUI toolkits available in the early 90s from a lot of
vendors, including compiler vendors like Borland.

For non-GUI applications, the ANSI escape sequence protocols,
primitive as they were, were pretty well supported by terminal
programs.  In addition there were several gaming-BBS protocols that
were also supported (I can't remember their names, but they were
around).

The PC dialup situation had all that available for a few years, but
GUIs rapidly pushed that into obsolescence.  And in Unix-land,
xterms were already popular by 1990, so a remote text-mode console
interface > spew but < GUI just wasn't a product that needed to
exist.

Brian