[MUD-Dev] MUD client popularity

Emil Nilimaa emil at mythicscape.com
Tue Feb 3 21:00:30 CET 2004

rayzam wrote:

> At which point, it's worth having a java telnet-app running off of
> your web page, which has more features. We don't have a nicely
> featured java app, but that seems to me to be the way to go.

It seriously helps getting new players into the game world with an
easy to use applet that runs in a browser. Almost 99% of all our new
players log in to our game through our java applet (custom
client). Those who stay then move over to our custom mud client's
download version. Our game is currently designed to allow both
stanard MUD clients and our custom client. Over 90% use some version
of our own client.

> Edward Glowacki wrote: I'm pretty sure some of these custom
> clients exist (probably JAVA based?) but I'm not sure how well
> integrated they are with the MUD, whether or not the custom client
> is basically REQUIRED to play the game or simply "suggested".

Yeah, in fact our company specializes in creating custom java based
mud clients :) They can be integrated completely with the mud. We're
working with a lot of projects, some have clients that are required,
others that work with all clients.

Java is actually nice since it makes cross-platform clients and
clients that could run in browsers as applets.

/Emil