[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Sun Feb 15 14:37:12 CET 2004

Jester wrote:
> Character Restraint & Capture

> I've been mulling this one over for some time; I am considering
> implementing a system whereby a character can be restrained,
> and/or captured by other players. I fully understand that unless I
> get this 100% right it will be universally hated, so I thought I'd
> get the views of this list's members.

> I am considering this system for two reasons; As a method of
> bringing PKers to justice via some sort of bounty hunting system.

> And as a strategy mechanism, i.e. The general of an army is
> captured by the opposition hours before a big battle.

> There would obviously need to be extensive checks & balances as to
> how characters could be caught this way and which skills/ classes
> would be permitted to do so, but I think that if a sound
> underlying system is in place this could make for some very
> interesting game-play .

> I'll expand upon these ideas if there is an interest in this
> thread.  Any constructive ideas would be most welcome.

This was discussed recently on the Darkfall fora, and generally the
idea was dismissed - while it may make for great overall gameplay,
for the poor player who is captured, being forced to spend an hour
or so staring at the screen doing nothing (especially if they are
paying for their time online), it really stinks.

The two examples mentioned can be handled just as well with suitable
death penalties, such as time-based skill loss, that don't prevent
the players from actually playing.

>From a role-playing perspective, there no reason a player cannot
role-play being captured, if they want to stage a daring breakout or
such - and this could be rewarded if RP'ing is a goal in your
game. But forcing inactivity on players is never a good thing.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]