[MUD-Dev] Mythica Cancelled..

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Feb 25 08:33:19 CET 2004

According to David H. Loeser Jr:

> I'd be more inclined to think that Worlds of Warcraft has more to
> do with this cancellation than any airy law suit.

> WoW seems to be everything that Mythica was aiming to be.  WoW and
> Mythica, from what I have read about each of the games, aimed to
> provide a much different approach to game-play, one that placed
> more emphasis on quality of play over duration of play. This, it
> appears, is a trend that will be followed.

Well, when I look at WoW, I see more of an Everquest "lookalike"
than Mythica. If you were to compare upcoming games, I would say
it's closer to Ultima X: Odyssey than World of Warcraft. Same
principle of an in-game lobby for matchmaking, completed by
instanced adventure areas, same principle of godhood
development/path of the Avatar.

However, I do agree. Microsoft has probably looked at the incoming
Blizzard juggernaut, has seen the growth of the market below most
previsions, and decided that Myhtica, without any important
franchise or name behind it was probably a bad investment. Not for
gameplay reasons, but simply because the hardcore (gamewise, not
content) fantasy online segment doesn't seem to be able to support
growth of too many big games.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)