[MUD-Dev] Re: SSH Encryption on data stream

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Feb 27 17:48:16 CET 2004

On 10 October 2003 "Craig H Fry" <craigfry at iname.com> wrote:

> So many games are plagued by packet sniffers I often wondered why
> more companies didn't do a per-session SSH encryption on the data
> stream.  Has anyone tried or is it just assumed the over head for
> packet encryption/decryption would cause a bottleneck?  I'm
> seriously considering using SSH for data encryption for my data
> streams and was curious if it is worth looking into.

While ssh for players may not be a good idea, ssh to the MUD for
programmers can be quite useful.  An unexpected benefit is that a
MUD implementation of scp solves all the up/downloading problems,
since scp clients are already widely available.

An implementation of ssh in a MUD programming language exists:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpcssh/

Regards,
Felix Croes