[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu Jul 8 03:25:23 CEST 2004

From: Dana V. Baldwin

> Timeliness in both cases is a major player. EQ was the first
> populous 3D MMO at a time when we were plaing iso scrolling UO as
> we had been playing UO for years.  CoH is also timely in that it
> came very polished at a time when players of SWG were dead tired
> of "virtual world woithout game" design ideas amd EQ players were
> looking to move on. CoH is differnt in that it was high polish,
> low content and players, on the whole I believe, are expecting
> content to follow and let's be honest, high polish is something of
> a scarcity in our business. Timeliness, in our business like most
> all others, is a primary attribute to success though it is often
> the most elusive to predict.

Someone at NCSoft told me he knew CoH would be successful when he
overheard their testers discussing what type of character they'd be
playing once the beta opened.

I believe CoH is succeeding because it's an exceptionally well-done
product. It doesn't do much, but it does what it does better than
anything else. So yeah, it's timing in the sense that any product
that's the best at what it does took advantage of timing their
product release such that whatever future product will surpass
theirs hasn't yet been released. ;)

I seriously doubt its playerbase is full of people there because
they're fleeing EQ and SW:G. Some, certainly, but then, all new
games get "refugees" from older games.

--matt