[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Jul 15 16:13:18 CEST 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:27 AM, Sean Howard wrote:

> I doubt the pendulum will swing back. Gone are the days when
> interesting minds from the MUD world are hired for the sake of a
> new field.

Interestingly, some of them are still being hired for the sake of a
new field, but that field is not necessarily "commercial dungeon
crawl games" any more, for all that EQ remains a classic in that
genre.

There is a lot of MMO work going outside of the mass market
entertainment arena.  There's a lot of work in areas like:

  - Virtual & constructive distributed simulations for training and
  evaluation

 - Virtual MMO military training research

  - Urban planning

> MMORPGs are an old field with lots of books written on them - so
> all the designers are going to come from traditional game industry
> sources.

I'd change that from "MMORPGs" to "RPGs".  MMORPGs are still
relatively new, though there have been a recent flurry of books.
MUDs are older, but MUDs != RPGs.  MUDRPGs are a subset of MUDs.

Amanda Walker