[MUD-Dev] CoH

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri Jul 16 08:23:09 CEST 2004

Scott Macmillan wrote:

> I disagree.  The fact that the gameplay has near-immediate
> gratification, and that you can play the game in 15 minute chunks
> is an extremely important gameplay related USP.  These things are
> realized by a polished combat system, a streamlined enhancement
> system, and a level design that lets you get right into whuppin'
> some bad guys.

I am curious to know how far you got (level?) into the game of CoH?
Are you basing this analysis on what you have read or what you have
experienced?

The system does indeed feel the way you explain it in the very, very
early levels. But after the 5th or 6th time you've replaced your 6
lvl X damage SOs with 6 lvl X+5 damage SOs, its pretty darn boring
and anti-climactic.

These enhancements provide absolutely no visual effect for your
character- either in physical appearance or in the way your powers
look when performed. Furthermore, there are really no options. Every
attack power gets 1 accuracy and 5 damage, or 6 damage if you are a
device blaster. That's it. It never changes.

Furthermore, knowing that the only reason you are upgrading the
enhancements is to keep your powers as useful as they were 5 levels
ago isn't terribly exciting. In fact, after you buy your new
enhancements, each ability gets 6% weaker each time you level up
since their power is based on enhancement lvl vs. player
level. Thus, when you're 4 levels into the 5 level lifespan of an
enhancement, your powers are each 24% weaker than they were when you
were LOWER level. You are faced with the depressing fact that the
moment you buy a new set of enhancements, you can look forward to
getting 6% weaker each level until you can replace them again with
the exact same enhancements you just bought.