[MUD-Dev] Re: CoH and others (was Cancellations: ...)

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri Jul 16 19:51:44 CEST 2004

Douglas Goodall wrote:

> I agree with the overall point, though, that even if CoH is a
> failure over the long term (which I do not expect), they've
> probably already made more money than they would with a single
> player product.

Why do you believe this to be true?

Plenty of CRPGs sell millions of copies. As soon as you slap the
MMORPG moniker on a product you severely limit its sales. A lot of
people just are not interested in a multiplayer game and certainly
are not interested in a monthly fee.

Diablo 2 has sold 5+ million copies if I recall. Halo has sold
millions of copies. The Baldur's Gate games have sold millions of
copies each.

The big money in MMORPGs comes from the monthly fees, not from the
number of units sold. When it comes to units sold, the non-MMORPGs
dramatically outsell the MMORPGs.