MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jul 21 16:52:19 CEST 2004

Tom "cro" Gordon wrote :

> Or take a service provider like BarrysWorld (now sadly gone),
> where each person who made use of the services would identify
> themselves as part of the BarrysWorld 'community' - which at it's
> peak topped the 300,000 mark. Sure, there were lots of smaller
> subgroups of varying sizes, but each participant also saw
> themselves as part of a greater whole.

Ok, so what we have arrived at is that 'community' is an overly
broad term to whatever the original author was trying to convey. If
we keep on broadening the community we look at, then we end up at
the community of the infinite. Philosophically interesting perhaps,
but hardly relevant.

Surely the communities which the original rule referred to, are
groups where one person can recognise and know all the members as
unique individuals not simply as indistinct parts of the community.

Dan

P.s. not picking on you in particular, just the general theme.