[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Fri Jul 23 11:51:16 CEST 2004

Michael Hartman wrote:
> cruise wrote:

>> I have to agree - "shallow" seems to be the major complaint
>> against CoH - but it's simplicity is the point - you don't have
>> to spend hours camping a mob for that incredibly rare item, or
>> run around levelling up all your equipment each time you
>> level. In other words, you can just go out and /play the game/,
>> without stopping for than a minute.

> Unfortunately, after a few weeks of playing, there's nothing worth
> stopping for.

> I really don't think it is valid to say the CoH "loot" is good
> because the EQ "wait in line for 2 RL months on a web mailing list
> to fight an epic mob" system is horrible. There is certainly a lot
> of room in between those extremes.

Indeed, there is. But different styles of play appeal to different
people. It seems quite a lot of people seem to enjoy the EQ
system. A lot of people are also enjoying the CoH system. Others,
like yourself, would enjoy something in between.

That's why we have lots of different games :P

CoH appeals largely I think to those who don't have much time (like
myself), who can spare only a few hours each week. I want to be able
to just load up and play the game, like I do any other game. The
last time I logged into AO, I spent approaching ten minutes buffing,
restoring nano, more buffing, etc. Then got trained 30 seconds later
and killed. I just signed off at that point and never looked at it
again. Sure, when I had an entire day clear, running around AO was
great. But in limited time frames, CoH is the much better choice for
me. Really long sesions do get a little boring, I admit. But those
sort of sessions are few and far between.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"