[MUD-Dev] Community? (Level Grind)

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Sat Jul 24 15:55:45 CEST 2004

"Brian Thyer" <brian at thyer.net> wrote:

> But in an MMO setting how do you achieve a unique grind
> experience?

I don't think it would be particularly hard to come up with
something workable. You just have make an effort to think "I'm NOT
going to do it this way." There are hundreds of non-AD&D grind games
out there to take inspiration from.

> If the majority of people are sitting and grinding the majority of
> people *will* sit and grind.  Circular maybe?

It's a matter of min-max. If you get more out of killing the same
constantly respawning creature than exploring, especially in a
competitive environment, you'll do what needs to be done.

I've always thought there should be some sort of badge system for
completing dungeon. You get a badge for each dungeon you complete,
and badges for completing X number of dungeons, or all the dungeons
in Very Large Area. These badges can be equipped, a few at a time,
to give you bonuses and skills (give them gameplay reasons to
collect). People will still min-max and find which dungeons give you
the best badges and what the easiest order to go through them are,
but they'll still spread out through the content rather than
replaying the same one over and over again with no further benefits.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net