MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGCancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Mon Jul 26 14:25:33 CEST 2004

"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:

> We may not like it, but all empirical evidence at the moment seems
> to show that requiring cooperative team play for success causes
> greater retention.

I couldn't disagree more. It's all in how you look at the graphs.
Requiring cooperation may keep certain types of people past their
due date, but it will alienate others well before they have a chance
to get tired of the game. You are creating that divide so early on
that you may not be able to measure it.

Personally, I hate forced grouping. I don't know if you guys have
noticed, but most of the other players can be complete
bastards. Nothing is less fun than trying to do something while this
guy follows you around for an HOUR and bugs you to group with him. I
say let some kids play football during lunch, and let some kids read
in the library - and provide ample rewards for either behavior.

One day, someone is going to create an introvert's MMORPG, and
everyone's going to say "Why didn't I think of that?"

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net