[MUD-Dev] Community? (Level Grind)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jul 26 16:35:10 CEST 2004

From: Damion Schubert [mailto:ubiq at zenofdesign.com]

> I see a lot of people saying that we need to emulate more
> complicated games in our MMPs: the Baldur's Gates, the Mysts, the
> Prince of Persias.  These games are all great games, but they
> aren't very repeatable.  The more intriguing lessons are the games
> that are much more repeatable: Tetris.  Civilization.  Even
> solitaire.

You make an interesting point, but are these even the same
audiences? Do people who like hairy great RPGs or beautifully
finessed control systems (Prince of Persia), really like to play
Tetris, Solitaire & Civ ad-infinitum. To me your examples ring of
'non-gamers games'. Good luck getting them locked into your MMO!

Online death match games. Now they are repeatable, but entirely
predicated on player skill and apparently that's not allowed in
online games, we have to pander to the unemployed morons and empower
them. Heaven forbid a game might require genuine intellect &
co-ordination to play!

Planetside nearly got there, but the pushing the bolder up the hill
every day aspect grinds even the ardent fan down.

Dan