MMO Communities (was RE:[MUD-Dev] MMORPGCancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Wed Jul 28 16:02:11 CEST 2004

"Otis Viles" <drey at speakeasy.org> wrote:
> Sean Howard wrote:

>> One day, someone is going to create an introvert's MMORPG, and
>> everyone's going to say "Why didn't I think of that?"

> Wouldn't that just be an offline, 1 player RPG or an AberMUD?

I said introverted, not alone. Just because someone doesn't want to
spend every second of every day talking with strangers does not mean
that they can't affect the community in extremely positive ways. I
think that you guys miss the entire point of community when you
assume that the only interaction one can have is limited to verbal
communication.

For instance, say one can create a dungeon for other players to play
in.  That can be an entirely personal creative endeavour, yet it can
enrich the playing experience of potentially every other player
online.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net