MMO Communities (was RE:[MUD-Dev]MMORPGCancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Wed Jul 28 16:10:15 CEST 2004

"Michael Sellers" <mike at onlinealchemy.com> wrote:

> for every one person you alienate with a requirement for
> cooperative team play, you retain some multiple number of people
> who really like it and are more likely to stick around because of
> it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the two things are not mutually
exclusive. Supporting social playing is different from forcing it.

>> One day, someone is going to create an introvert's MMORPG, and
>> everyone's going to say "Why didn't I think of that?"

> They have.  It's called "Diablo."

It's that kind of comment which reinforces my original
statement. You guys will be blown away because you don't think it is
possible. It is. There is this weird extroverted elitism going on
here which I just find weird. I'm not saying introspective behavior
is superior, just valid - and I can't believe I have to argue for
even that little.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net