MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Thu Jul 29 21:07:18 CEST 2004

HRose wrote:

> Now I don't think that one of those models is better than the
> other. Each player should have the possibility to choose
> considering a precise situation. Playing alone must be always an
> option. Group play must be always strongly encouraged. Remembering
> that bringing players together will be healthy for the game.

And I'd like to add because this point of view opens new
perspectives. Considering what I wrote I think that the teamwork
shouldn't be enforced and isn't the best solution to create a
"relationship" between the players. There's a better way. I think
these games should move the focus outside the character. Loosing
this egoistical obsession. Instead of requiring teamwork to achive
something on a personal "power" treadmill, they should provide more
communal goals. I think that at this point the design could advance,
till now we had only games where the only purpose is about gaining
more power for your character. All that you have around is a "tool"
to gain that power, from experience, to loot, to gold that can be
used to buy different "forms" of power. The only dynamical element
is the single character, all the rest is faked. Nothing changes
aside the fact that your character is stronger or richer.

An evolution is about adding more sense to the structure and build,
"on top" of the personal treadmill, a different system where the
players need to cooperate to achieve communal objectives. This not
only will help the community to become stronger but it will also
instill a good amount of motivation, enthusiasm, sense of
participation and fulfillment, in each player. It could be a very
strong force driving the game. More effective to provide fun and
involvment. And it doesn't matter if you use the PvE or PvP to
achieve that because there's potential in both.

The idea is about bringing the community *inside* the gameplay. To
be part of the gameplay directly. I think this has the possibility
to be more effective and successful.

-HRose / Abalieno