[MUD-Dev] Community? (Level Grind)

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 00:12:54 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Just today we implemented something (hardly unique. Others mud
> have done this for a long time I'm fairly certain) increases the
> xp reward of mobs the longer they stay alive, in an effort to
> encourage people not to all rush to the most convenient bashing
> locations but to spread themselves out instead.

DAoC did something like this with their "camp bonus." It didn't seem
to affect player strategies much. I had a terrible time convincing
group members that it really was better XP to go from camp to camp
of yellow/orange, unpopular mobs than to sit in one place killing
the same purple mobs over and over.

Perhaps it didn't work in DAoC because the camp bonus wasn't well
know or well explained or large enough. Or maybe there weren't
enough camps close together... But I suspect it's more like
"inertia." Camping is the rest state and pushing players to do
something else requires enough energy/rewards to overcome static
friction.