[MUD-Dev] Natural Language Generation

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Jun 1 12:31:01 CEST 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 21:48, Douglas Goodall wrote:
> Tiago Carita wrote:

>> Any one knows examples of games that use natural language
>> generation for NPCs??? And if yes was it convincing??

> Alot of MUDs used (still use?) an Eliza based bot for one or a
> couple of NPCs. It wasn't what I'd call convincing, but they
> fooled quite a few people. I seem to recall a borg for DIKU style
> MUDs that included a chatterbot as well. Whether it's worthwhile
> depends on what you want to do. Chatterbots have already passed
> the Turing test, but only for a) very limited topics and b) very
> short periods of time. While I don't think they could convince
> most players that they are "real," this does not mean they are
> useless.

I believe the maximal time I have observed people being fooled by an
Eliza type chatter bot with some simple build in response patterns
was about 10 minutes. After that the response was often to kill the
NPC whenever the player sees it from that point forward. The builtin
fooled by pretending to be a clueless (female) newbie with questions
on what was going on in the game. It also added itself to the 'who'
list if you were at the same location. It is much easier to make a
bot that ask questions than one that answers them :-P

--
--Hans-Henrik St=E6rfeldt