[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Freeman Freeman
Tue Jun 1 18:14:48 CEST 2004

From: Amanda Walker
> Freeman, Jeff wrote:

>> People typically don't visit virtual worlds, though, they live
>> in=20 them.

> "Typically?"  I don't think it's even close, even for powergamers
> who don't have to work for a living.

Well, yes, typically.  It's not just a matter of time spent (though
in some extreme cases, that too), but of attitude.  People think of
themselves - whether they pretend their character is an idealized
version of themselves or just a pawn that they control - as 'living
in' whatever game (MUD or MMO) they're currently playing.

Or at the very least, they think of their character as 'living
there' even they only play once a week for a few hours total, and
only occassionally think 'me' when they really ought to have said
'my character'.

Who goes to Disney World even on a weekly basis?

But that's what I meant by 'people don't visit VW's, they live in
them'.  It's a different attitude altogether.

I will admit that you will make a lot of money if you can convince
millions of people to login once a year for several hours, paying
hundreds of dollars each.

I just don't think that's going to happen.  Personally, for that
amount of money, I'd rather go to Disney World.

>> I think we'll see robots replace the human-actors at Disney World
>> before we see human-actors replacing the bots in MMO's.

> Hmm.  Seems to me that Disney's going *away* from robots and
> towards increased use of humans, actually...

Everybody's going to robots.  Haven't you heard?  We're doooomed. :P

  http://marshallbrain.com/robotic-nation.htm