[MUD-Dev] DGN: Space MUD

67Me You moreletterq at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 10:47:09 CEST 2004

Hi everyone, I just joined the list because me and a friend are
begining work on a space MMO. We are both in highschool and i know
this will be alot of work so any help would be appreciated. It will
be set in space and have 2d graphics. I'm looking at clans or
corporations in the game being able to control planets and build
space stations. Eventually i also want to implement a way that very
rich people can create their own ships using some form of in-game
ship editor. Other people will be able to get existing ships and
modify them with new weapons, engines etc.

I'm also looking at implementing some sort of production or
manufacturing system but not sure how i will do that because i
wanted to move away from the ,at least in my view, overused level
system. The problem i see with this is that the very good players
will simply buy new players the required equipment to produce stuff
thus making them almost equal to other much more dedicated players
who simply are playing on their own. Any solutions to this besides
the overused ones?

I was also thinking about making it so that your ships "officers" or
whatever i end up calling them will gain expeciance of some sort
while still avoiding levels. This would somewhat avoid the earlier
problem with manufacturing but i wanted to make manufacturing mostly
dependent on the player rather than his crew.

I will be writing most of the client side in java but may use some
C++ in there to optimize on the server side. This will allow lots of
people to have access to the game while still making the server side
fast. Any info on server side implementation would be useful because
i know next to nothing about that.

I was wondering if there were any good space MUDs out there that you
guys might have heard of? So i could see how they work. Also any
advice on this project or maybe good books, sites etc would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Patrick B.