[MUD-Dev] DGN: Space MUD

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Jun 9 15:07:31 CEST 2004

67Me You wrote:

> I will be writing most of the client side in java but may use some
> C++ in there to optimize on the server side. This will allow lots
> of people to have access to the game while still making the server
> side fast. Any info on server side implementation would be useful
> because i know next to nothing about that.

NB: I'm not attempting to persuade anyone to use Java over C++ in a
general sense here.

But...if you're going to write the client in java, then I would
advise against writing any of the server in C++ - there's no
advantage. I would be truly impressed - maybe even amazed - if you
managed any performance improvement at all, and if you're already
comfortable programming java for everything else then the added
complexity of using two programming languages is likely to cause you
significant pain later on.

  (although I can think of ways you could use C to speed up java
  networking on specific platforms, depending upon what JVM you're
  using - e.g. some JVM's are apparently binding the Java NIO code
  to low-performance native libs (which they oughtn't to be doing)
  so writing a C wrapper to use decent native asynch libs could give
  you a significant boost. But I would strongly recommend against it
  - you may even find that a new version of your JVM uses the high
  performance libs already, so that it was a waste of time you
  coding a hack to get at them :))

Also, I would strongly suggest you visit Sun's official game-dev
site + forums (javagaming.org) - they have done a poor job at
publicising it, but it's a fairly good resource for client-side java
games dev.

...and, on that note, myself and some others from the JGO community
have started a site tentatively titled "Java Games Factory" to plug
the gaps that Sun's official site is not filling (due to haphazard
input from sun staff): http://grexengine.com/sections/externalgames/
where you will find handy things like java-specific games dev
articles, and a page with links and info on all the major, free, 3rd
party games-dev libs for java.